Saturday, September 27, 2014

Coelogyne mooreana 'Brockhurst'


I recently started a small collection of Coelogyne species and hybrids. Although I have not seen all of them in bloom, I am willing to bet my Coelogyne mooreana 'Brockhurst' will be my favorite. I love the large pristine white flowers and the textured orange markings (keel) on the lip. It is an absolute show stopper. My only concern is its size. It is about 20 inches tall which is not a bad size. However the larger arching leaves eat into my limited bench space by constantly encroaching on its neighbor. Still, Coelogyne mooreana is worth the space.


This species originates from a monsoons climate so there are clearly defined dry and wet seasons. Considering this, here is how I grow it in my collection. Over the winter it experiences night temperatures into the high 40s to low 50s. Last winter, I reduced watering over winter but I went over board so now I have some accordion leaves. This winter I will provide more water. I am planning on once a weekly to every 10 days watering schedule. During the summer, I watered it pretty liberally, and it responded very well. I keep it in indirect bright light all year found. This orchid has great potential and I am looking forward to seeing in bloom again.


No comments:

Post a Comment