Saturday, September 13, 2014

Paphiopedilum niveum


This is my absolutely, adorable Paphiopedilum niveum! There is something extremely delightful about these perky 2.5" blooms. I think it is the burst of maroon freckles against the white background and the bright yellow staminode that gives you the warm and fuzzies. It is not the best form for a niveum. A better form would be much, more rounded. But as long as I like it, so what. Plus mine blooms about two to three times a year!

Paphiopedilum niveum is in the subgenus Brachypetalum. Members in this subgenus benefit from being grown in open, airy mixes and with a little more light than average for a paphiopedilum. Still an eastern window is more than adequate for these little beauties
.
 

I have not found this Paphiopedilum to be difficult to grow or flower as long as I let it begin to dry a bit between waterings. I grow it under intermediate conditions with an occasional dip into the cool range in the coldest part of the winter. I don't think the dip into the cool range is desirable. It is simply a side effect of my growing conditions. 
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment